As a teacher and a parent of a four-year-old boy, I would suggest to start with making your own custom list consisting only of words with the same vowel. Two- and three-letter words consisting of one vowel would be the first choice. The initial list of spelling words usually contains words with the phoneme presented with letter ‘a’ as in DAD.
When the learner seems to have grasped the first spelling list, it is time to move to the next spelling list with words containing another vowel (‘i’, or ‘e’…).
To customize the app please follow these four steps:
1. Go to Settings (Press&Hold)
2. Tap onto “Tap to select or create active list”
3. Tap ‘+‘ next to Customizable Lists.
A list of all the words will be shown.
You can tap a word you wish to add to your spelling list. If you wish to create a word family, type in the Search Box the letters or a letter you wish your desired spelling words to contain. E.g. ‘a’. In the ‘a‘ case all the words that contain “a” will appear. Tap next to those words you wish to add to your spelling list.
4. When you are finished creating your spelling list, tap DONE button located in the upper right corner of the word list.
To name/rename the custom spelling list please follow these three easy steps:
1. Tap RENAME button in the upper right corner of the screen.
2. Type in the name of the spelling list in the box.
3. When done, tap UPDATE (blue) button.
Now, you should select (tap) the spelling list you wish to use in the app.
Start the LEARN Mode first.
To download Build A Word Easy Spelling with Phonics from iTunes go to: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/build-word-easy-spelling-phonics/id436102581?mt=8